Short Stories and Me

Short Stories and Me
I think I found myself here...

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Maggie








  
Sometimes you get to feel the love as soon as you meet someone. Other times, it might take awhile to get warmed up to someone. Well, on this day, during Indian Summer in Virginia, one of the special ones came into my families life, with an immediate love for everyone.

The day was mild, but there looked like a thunderstorm just might be brewing. I was visiting my son and his family, on his farm. We were all in the kitchen, and I think we were probably getting some lunch together. Well, that storm came on suddenly and unexpectedly too, with a bang.
To our surprise, bursting in the door came a black and white Border Collie, searching for cover from the storms violent crashes of thunder and lightening. She was wagging her tail as if asking for help, and she actually smiled at us. My little grandson and I immediately fell in love with her. She was so kind and allowed this little tyke to rub on her and hug her. I was concerned that he might hurt her as he tried with all his little might to walk around her, his balance not always steady. He loves animals so much, and did as a very young child, he would never purposely hurt her, but he fell a few times. The dog would only lower her eyes and gently moved herself away. She would lie very still, until he was far enough away that she could move without causing him to fall. Her caring was immediately noticed. Sometimes she would carefully pull her paws a bit closer to her body, protecting them from the little feet, that didn't know it would hurt her to stand on them.
She was an amazing creature, that seemed to have been sent to them for a purpose. I had fallen in love with the dog, and it seemed she had an immediate liking to me as well, a strange quandry for me, as I had decided quite a few years before that I didn't want another dog, it was too hard to lose them. However, I was ready, and a little excited to take this one home with me, after a very short meeting. They already had two dogs, and I was sure they wouldn't want to keep her. The dog would move from the child to me, even though others were loving on her too. She certainly had a soft, gentle spot for this little boy, with the loving smile and gentle ways. He would hold her face between his hands and talk to her. She would lower her beautiful brown eyes, as though understanding his sweet words and tiny voice.

The sight of this was truly a miracle to witness. A bond had formed as soon as this lovely dog had entered the house. She had a magical way of communicating to each person in the house, almost human, but especially to this small child. My husband would gladly have loaded her in the truck, and brought her home. I have upon occasion, in the wanderings through my mind, considered that she may have been reincarnated for a specific purpose, that little boy.
How unusual that a dog could read the minds of the people she had encountered today, and know that she was welcomed and needed.

Alas, we were not to be blessed with taking her home with us, she had captured the hearts of my son and his entire family. We didn't get to take her home with us, but she had found the perfect new home. No one came looking for her, and after a couple of weeks, they assumed that no one would. She had been officially adopted as part of the family. When she was left outside too long, she would come to the door and knock, not bark, just knock. Now, my grandson was still taking naps, he was not quite two yet. I always felt, that the polite knock at the door was for his benefit, she didn't want to disturb him, during nap time. She had an uncanny sense of things around her.
Not too very long after she had been adopted, my son ran into a person that asked about her. After a bit of conversation, they concluded that the dog belonged to her. My son was extremely disappointed and his heart just fell during their conversation, and he was ready to go get the dog for the woman. To his surprise, she offered to let them keep her. She told him that she just wouldn't stay at her house, and this time she assumed that the dog wouldn't be returning. The woman told him the dogs name and told him that she would drop off the papers sometime, and left the store. Leaving my son in total disbelief.

Now remember, I told you there was something magical about her. Maggie was her name, and she responded to it, as soon as my son got home and called to her.
Maggie became a beloved member of the family. She stayed close enough to keep an eye on the baby, and slept by his bed.
Maggie had a remarkable memory. She loved me just as she loved her family. I think it's because I was taking care of my grandson the very first day, and she felt the connection. Whenever my truck would pull down the driveway, she would be at the door waiting for someone to open it, and impatient that they were taking so long, because she knew it was me coming down the drive. Before I could get out of the truck, she was there to greet me, with loving arms. She would turn around in circles, to show me how happy she was to see me, and then pause to wait for me to come in the house. Maggie knew that I loved her in a very special way, and she expressed her love in a way, no other dog I've known, has ever done.

Maggie took care of her family for many years. Always close by, watching for any sign that meant danger. A remarkable, loving dog, that chose her family. Maggie never went astray, which is funny, considering she had been owned by another family some distance away, and had always run off. This is why I have always believed that she was sent to my sons family, to take care of them, and it was meant to be. She did her job well for many years. The day that she died was one of the hardest days of my life, and I have had many. We all lost a valuable friend that day and I still think of her often, as though she is still with us.
They have a new dog now, and my grandson loves her too, but I keep my distance, as if to prove that Maggie still lives there, in every corner and by his bed.

I truly don't know if any other dog will ever take her place in my heart, but if it should, they would certainly be related to Maggie, or have a connection that would be heaven sent, as Maggie was.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments: