Short Stories and Me

Short Stories and Me
I think I found myself here...

Friday, January 21, 2011

It's Today Again

I know it's today again because I am sitting here in my office. The sun is shining today, through the window beside me, glaring through the shade.So I lift the shade, and let it shine in and flow over me. I'm sure that it wants to take a look at what my thoughts are today, because of the brightness coming through the window, as if leaning over my shoulder. The past several days, it hasn't come to pay a visit quite so much. I think I must be addicted to the sun, as I have a much higher function capability when it actually shines. On the days it seems to hide behind a cloud, or is so far away that the warmth is imperceptible, I seem to have a much lower function level, and seem to sit for longer periods of solitude. Could it be that I need the sun to show me the signs for the day? I think so. Summer seems to pass so quickly, yet winter lingers on and on, with dreary skies and a dampness, that clings to ever piece of sand. I long for the sand under my feet, burning on some days and just so wonderfully warm on others.
I think now, that the warmth is what I truly desire, feeling the damp in my bones, now in the elder years of this journey. Waning youth is remembered with long days walking through the warm sand and the splash of the sea on my legs. I still enjoy the clamoring waves against me, walking along the beach in no particular search of anything. Mindless wandering, as my being absorbs the sun and refreshes my soul.

Winter has it's own moments as well though. The snow is so beautiful, flowing down the hills and valleys of the farm. The black cattle stand out from afar, as little black dots, stark against the whiteness of the snow. The weather is calling for snow again, and I try to get my mind to think of the preparations that need to be made in case it should keep me behind the line. The line being the driveway, that reaches a half mile long. It turns and rides along the fence line, allowing the snow to drift up and over the fence, making it's own new hills. It keeps the inhabitants trapped behind the wall of snow, blocking any escape.
The footprints that mar the snow are the obvious prints of man, heading to the barn, to take care of the animals there. Man has no choice, but to trudge through the snow and take care the animals. They are helpless against the snow, and depend on man for food and shelter against it's coldness. The grass below it is lost to them, because they can't find a way to get through the mass, that covers it.

Yes, preparation will be the sign for today. A pot of soup that will last long enough to warm the soul when it warms the body. The sun will have to wait for me today, I have work to do, in preparation for the weather to come. The soul will have to wait for warmer days.

No comments: